Wednesday, December 24, 2008

Decorating with low budget!




Good ideas with frugal decorating can be made possible with a low budget. Recently, I started learning the craft of making roses with streamers, the kind you use to decorate for parties. My passion of making paper roses had gotten OTT (Over the Top) when I discovered how fun it could be to make them for my loved ones.
On a boring day where I was just idling at home, inspiration hit me, and I decided to venture out to a 99-cent store to look for 6 identical white vase.
When I got home, I started to make 6 roses with red streamers. As you can see from the images, the result is pretty dramatic! Once again, it prooves that one does not have to sacrifice style and good looks in order to stick to a budget :-)

1 comment:

  1. I've seen the roses you make. They are stunning because they are small, elegant, and simple. They are very artistic because, unlike artificial flowers, they look similar to (but not exactly like) the real thing.

    We've all passed someone on the street, in a bar or elevator, and that person reminds us (sometimes exactly) of someone we know. That shakes up our memories, good or bad -- much more strongly than had we seen the actual person.

    I feel the same about these paper, hand-made roses. They are elusive in that they look quite real yet we know they're not. And, like the person we pass on the street, we each choose to make them as "real" as we want to satisfy our memories.

    Instead of hand making these red roses in simple white vases, you had chosen expensive artificial, plastic or silk ones, that effect would have been lost.

    Beautiful concept, great skill, minimalist presentation, and very striking.

    What do they remind me of? Well, that's another story...

    ReplyDelete